Thursday, January 14, 2010

Reflections

With the sudden, unexpected death of Ned's younger brother, I have had so many reflections this past few days. Life can change and be taken in the blink of an eye. Jeff will be missed--he was so funny and had a big heart. He also had a lot of pain and had a hard life with his mental illness.

I have thought so much about all the relationships in my life and felt so grateful for them.

I don't know how I would cope if Ned or my children were taken from me--but I guess when it happens you just have to deal. I'm so grateful that I know that our relationships and life continue beyond the veil.

Today, in planning a funeral, I've seen how important it is that we prepare ourselves for this thing called death--spiritually, AND financially. If someone dies without any savings or life insurance--it leaves a big burden on the rest of the family. We know we are going to die and we know, if we don't pay and prepare, those we leave behind, are going to have to cover for us. Ned and I decided that next week, we are going to go buy plots and pay for a funeral plan. We just don't think it is going to happen to us--but it will.

Love you all.

11 comments:

lil brodie krews back said...

I'm soooo sorry Auntie Mimi.! Life can change in a flash! It is not fair....my prayers are with you & Neds family. We love you guys!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being prepared. We are thinking about and praying for Ned and his family.

The Brodie Bunch said...

Sorry for your loss...these kind of things unfortunately show how precious life and loves ones are.

Wendell and Carole said...

That is such a good idea Miriam. You just alway's think you will have time for stuff like that, but like with Ned's brother, you just don't know when your time is up. It just doesn't seem fair for your kids to have to pay for their parents funeral. John and I had to do that for his parent's, and as young parent's ourselves, we sure didn't have extra money. It worked out, but was not easy. Give Ned a big hug, and tell him we are so sorry for the loss of his younger brother. What a heartache! Love you guy's, Carole

Brooke B said...

I wish I could be there today, just for support. That is something good to start thinking about...

Vera said...

Thinking of Ned and his family at this time. Love you guys.

brit said...

Miriam,
Mike sells pre-need funeral arrangements. Its not for a specific funeral home...but like an insurance policy. Very nice for family members who are left behind. He sees this a lot and its so hard for this burden to fall on family members. Call him if you have questions or want help!
So sorry about Ned's brother. Love you both so much!

kendall said...

So sorry about Ned's brother.

bev said...

It was a lovely funderal. I enjoyed listening to his father talk about Jeff. He threw out a couple of amazing stories that I am still trying to grapple with..... Parking the car in the garage.....Wow. I was impressed with the show of attendance and out pouring of love from his Club friends. I'm so glad I got to meet and visit with some of Ned's family. Timing.... Not so great. It gives me a little insight into Ned. I really gotta say that I like that guy. He is sincere and down to earth. I'm thinking about Ned and his family. Hope they find peace. Seems to me that they are well on their way.

Simply Vera said...

vbpeters.blogspot.com/

my new blog... I think it finally works...

Miriam said...

Thanks everyone for the kind words--I passed them all onto Ned. The funeral was great--good Jeff stories to make us laugh and feel sad. At the gravesite we played a Jackson Browne song called "Late for the Sky"... Jeff's favorite artist and Jeff's favorite song. After listening to the words, we all got a glimpse into Jeff's heart--I think it's how he felt.