I just finished this book, "These is my Words". I loved the book. It's a fictional book of journal entries of a woman who lived in the 1800's. Great writing; fun and romantic and amazing reading about what life in the American West might have been like for a woman.
We watched this movie the other night, "Temple Grandin". It is a must see~really! I was moved and inspired by this movie that was based on the life of an autistic girl. I was told by several people to watch it and I'm so glad I did.In particular, I was talking to bossman about criminal/abusive/violent behavior and he went and got this book off his bookshelf ("Why They Kill") and said I might want to read it. Lovely. Looks like an uplifting read. I started it last night. I really don't need to put any more crap in my mind, but it's where my interest/work is. Daily, I work with people who are struggling with so many problems. Just this week I have been working with two suicidal students~one who thinks the Neo Natzi's are after him, been to two sleazy motels, worked with a student who said his mom had died and she hadn't, worked with a student who said she was pregnant and has miscarried at school and she hadn't, worked with parents who don't give a crap about their children or who are abusive and neglectful of their children. No one really likes to see me at their doorstep. I also got calls on a teacher who's daughter committed suicide and another several cases where the parent wants help because they can't control their daughter's who are running with/sleeping with older men. Get the picture. Some weeks, it just gets to me and I wonder how long I can do the job. Whew, I've just been feeling like I need to unload some of this emotion off my chest... I sometimes joke that my next job will be a flower delivery person. Firstly, people would LOVE to see me at their door, I would make them happy and they would smile and laugh and say "come back anytime!"
4 comments:
I wish I was more of a reader...
It's true, you do have a sucky job sometimes. But I am sure you make a difference to people even if you don't see the effects. This world is cra-zy and we need social workers! Thanks for all you do momma!
You are there for a reason....
I loved These is my words" We did it for book club in Relief Society. There are actually 2 more books in the series. My old brain doesn't remember them....nor did I read them yet but be on the look out.
A gentleman in our ward knew Temple Grandin. Said she was a pistol. I want to see that video in its entirety.
Post a Comment